Monday, February 11, 2008

GWG

Wow! I went on a date tonight for the first time in almost three years. It was really nice. We had fun eating, talking, laughing, etc. Unfortunately, he is gay. I guess that means it wasn't really a date, but hey, he did asked me out and it was a neat way to start a blog. It is sad meeting awesome new people since I will be leaving so soon. Oh well, I had a lot of fun tonight, and hopefully we will get to hang out more. I need new friends!! But the main reason why I am posting this is to talk about where he and I met: a Guess Whose Gay Panel.

Guess Whose Gay Panels are one of my favorite activities to participate in here at A&M. They are really neat, and also serve an important purpose as an educational tool. The panels are set up so that 5-7 individuals of varying genders and orientations are up in the front of another group, usually a club or dorm. The club members get to ask questions for about 20 minutes that would help them to determine who is gay, lesbian, and bisexual. After the question period, the panelist step out and everyone votes and says why they chose what for each panelist. Then, the panelist come back in and reveal their true orientation and we talk about how wrong stereotypes can be, and give them a little insight into how tough it can be for people to be out at Texas A&M. I think it is really great to provide these people with personal stories. By understanding the struggles some individuals face, hopefully people will be more understanding about other people and their characteristics.

Well, I have been sitting on panels for a couple of years now, and this one was impressive!! The club we were there for actually guessed 4 out of 6 of us correctly! That never happens. The best I have ever seen was about 50%. What was more exciting to me is that for the first time ever, they guessed my orientation correctly! I am always voted as a lesbian or bisexual. I am going to miss doing these panels a lot. But now, I must study. First wave of exams starts this week for me.

No comments: